Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Year I Learn to Talk


When I first meet people, I often project the qualities onto them 
that I hope they will see in me:



I then go about investing envy or desire into those imagined qualities.

This projection is so strong I can get high off it, like fumes off gasoline.
It becomes difficult to realistically engage with the person.
I am so busy huffing the vibes of their potential--
who they might be, what they might think of me.




It's incredibly lucky that I haven't gotten into trouble in my life with this tendency--
some people have stuck with me, good-hearted and unwilling to take advantage,
or patient enough to wait until I settle down.  
But it's unfortunate that I've blown opportunities to develop relationships, 
too caught up in a narcissistic, neurotic fantasy.




Last November I turned 36 and decided this was the year 
I would learn how to talk to people.

Which is why, sometime this spring, I made a vow to only count 
what really happens between me and another person, not what happens in my head.

Which means I have to learn how to make conversation.

So please be patient.





  










No comments:

Post a Comment