Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

COVID 19 Journal 1

Wednesday March 11, 2020


shopping lists & receipts
It's a coming-together time, in spite of folks keeping their distance. For the first time ever I find myself wanting to hear news straight out of people's mouths instead of reading it. Personal reports feel more truthful. At the bluegrass jam last night, a mandolin player said his son at UNC-Chapel Hill said it was closing already, but today I couldn't find any news about that. Stilll it seemed more relevant than the NY times briefing I get in my email, which is usually about what President Trump is doing (or not doing) about any of this. 


I think now, too, of all the Latinx people stuck in holding facilities at the border and how quickly the virus would spread in those conditions. There are so many stories that will not be told with this virus, because there will not be people to tell them. But the Diamond Princess cruise ship off the coast of California gets press.

Italy now has a 6% death rate, not because of the virus per se, but because healthcare systems are too overwhelmed and people are dying in the halls. 

UNCA is going to extend its spring break another week, then go to online classes for a period of time until early April. the campus is still expected to operate but students are encouraged to not come back, to shelter-in-place wherever they are. This will be hard for some. A lot of students don't have other places to go. I'm so glad they're extending break another week. It will give people (professors and staff helping them ) time to plan what they're going to do. 

I'm glad I'm still well and haven't caught Atticus's cold yet, and can go in to work tomorrow. Max is willing to keep A. home from school another day as his cold is still very bad. I'm worried about his cough, which is stronger than his coughs usually are.

I left work early so Max could go fishing in East Fork. It would usually be a Mamaw babysitting afternoon but we are trying to keep her away from Atticus's cold. She's planning to come out Saturday for Max's photo reception, for his and Bronwen's exhibit at the library.  I hope that, magically, no one gets sick from this event.

I tried taking Atticus out to the back yard in the beautiful weather today, but he got scared of bugs. I think parks are going to be our saving grace during this time that we can't go to our normal places (the mall, the airport, hotels, Barnes and Noble, museums, Mamaw & Uncle Brackie's house). 

It's hard to prepare for sleep at night when all these worried thoughts are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment